Are Whites Racially Oppressed?
The fact that this is even a headline on a major news website shows the power that Whites, as a whole, wield on the American psyche and the American narrative. But we never talk about that. The fact that you have an article actually arguing the merits of this point of view I find utterly ridiculous. A supremely powerful majority who views themselves as an oppressed minority? Really!!?? And a major network that gives this point of view voice!? Are we always to be fair and balanced… You have got to be kidding me.
There is a such thing as a “legitimate” argument. Just because you MAKE and argument doesn’t make the argument a legitimate one. I could “argue” that the President was born in Kenya. I could make that argument…and Mike Huckabee has…but does that mean his argument is accurate or legitimate or truthful or righteous in any way? Whites as an oppressed minority? Seriously!? Is the NAACP racist too? Has the Tea Party no racist overtones!?
The article relays these bullet points as evidence:
• A recent Public Religion Research Institute poll found 44% of Americans surveyed identify discrimination against whites as being just as big as bigotry aimed at blacks and other minorities. The poll found 61% of those identifying with the Tea Party held that view, as did 56% of Republicans and 57% of white evangelicals.
• More colleges are offering courses in “Whiteness Studies” as white Americans cope with becoming what one commentator calls a “dispossessed majority group.”
• A Texas group recently formed the “Former Majority Association for Equality” to offer college scholarships to needy white men. Colby Bohannan, the group’s president, says white men don’t have scholarship options available to minorities. “White males are definitely not a majority” anymore, he says.
• U.S. Census Bureau projections that whites will become a minority by 2050 are fueling fears that whiteness no longer represents the norm. This fear has been compounded by the recent recession, which hit whites hard.
You have this perception out there that whites are no longer in control or the majority.
–Charles Gallagher, sociologist
• Conservative talk-show host Rush Limbaugh argued in a radio show that Republicans are an “oppressed minority” in need of a “civil rights movement” because its members willingly sit in the “back of the bus” and “are afraid of the fire hoses and the dogs.”
• Fox talk-show host Glenn Beck led a march on Washington (attended primarily by white people) to “restore honor,” and once called President Obama a racist with a “deep-seated hatred for white people and white culture.” He later said he regretted making that comment.
This is exactly why you need a definition of racism/white supremacy. A definition of truth. Not one brought forth by the majority to usurp or confuse the illness that is racism/white supremacy. There also needs to be a dichotomy drawn between what would better be called prejudice and what should be called racism/white supremacy. To confuse the two words or to make them indistinguishable allows for a white majority to claim racial oppression and minority status (when the facts and reality point to no such thing) while they continue to control every industry and station.